This is a vegan version of Cauliflower cheese, made with cabbage. For a dairy version, swap the plant milk for dairy and use a cheese of your choice instead of Nutritional yeast. Perfect as part of a roast dinner.
· 1 small head of January king cabbage (or savoy, white or green cabbage)
· Oil or vegan butter
· Plain flour
· 300g plant milk (e.g. oat or soy)
· Nutritional yeast
· Dijon mustard
· Smoke essence (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Cut the cabbage in half then into 6 wedges.
2. Add a little oil (1-2 tbs) to a baking dish. Add the cabbage wedges and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, make the sauce. Melt 40g of vegan butter or heat oil in a good pan. Add 1 tbsp of plain flour. Stir into the fat to make a paste. Cook for 3-5minutes so the flour can cook.
4. Add 300g of plant milk and stir into the paste. Bring to the boil while stirring. The sauce will be at its thickest when it’s bubbling. It shouldn’t have any lumps, but just blend with a hand-blended if it does.
5. Turn of the heat and stir-in 1-2tbsp of nutritional yeast and 1tsp of Dijon mustard. Stir in.
6. Add salt and pepper (to taste). Add a couple of drops of smoke essence if using, or 1tsp of smoked paprika (optional)
7. Check the cabbage after 10minutes. Cook for another 5-10 minutes if it’s not soft and starting to brown.
8. When the cabbage is ready, add the ‘cheese sauce’ to the baking dish. Grill the cabbage and sauce until it browns (or can be baked in the oven for another 10minutes).