200g firm tofu
· 4-6 large spring green leaves
· Green chillies (optional)
· 1 clove garlic
· 1 bunch of fresh coriander (leaves, or just stalks is fine)
· Fresh parsley and/or mint(optional)
· 2 carrots, peeled and grated
For the tofu
1. Pre-heat the oven to 250°C and bring a small pan of water to the boil (around 1L of water)
2. Cut the tofu into batons (around 8 pieces). Add 1tbsp of salt to the boiling water and add the tofu. Boil for 3-5minutes- the tofu will expand slightly. Drain and leave to cool slightly.
3. Brush a little oil onto a baking tray (a silicone mat or baking paper can be used too, but also brushed with oil). Add the tofu batons and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
4. After 15 minutes, flip the tofu over and cook for another 10-15minutes until crispy.
5. Leave to cool.
For the spring greens
1. Separate out the leaves and wash.
2. In a steamer, add the leaves and steam for 30seconds-1minutes until bright green and soft.
3. Immediately remove and place in cold water to cool. Leave to drain.
4. If the leaves are still wet, dry them with a paper towel before using
For the sauce
1. Blend together: 2 tbsp of tahini the juice of 1 lime 2 tbsp of jalapeños (and a little brine) 1 green chilli (for spiciness, can be left out) the fresh coriander and other herbs (if using) 1 small clove of garlic
50ml cold water
2. Blend into a smooth sauce, adding more water if needed. There should be enough salt from the jalapeños but add more if necessary
3. Leave to sit for at least 10minutes, to let the garlic flavour come through
For the wrap
1. Lay 2-3 spring green leaves on a plate and season with salt and pepper. Add a layer of grated carrot and the batons on crispy tofu. Cover with a few tablespoons of sauce and wrap up- serve cold.