Spiced Turmeric Roast Potatoes
· 2 medium potatoes
· 1 tsp turmeric
· Cumin seeds
· Chilli flakes
· Brown mustard seeds
· Curry leaves (fresh or frozen are best, but dried work too)
· Black pepper
· 2 large tomatoes (optional)
· Vegetable or rapeseed oil
1. Peel the potatoes and cut into 3-4 pieces
2. Pre-heat the oven to 220°C
3. Place in a pan of cold water with a pinch of salt and 1tsp of turmeric. Bring to the boil and simmer until the potatoes just start to soften (but aren’t completely mushy or soft). About 10-15minutes
4. Drain the potatoes. Add the drained potatoes to a bowl and drizzle with vegetable or rapeseed oil. Mix to cover the potatoes with oil. Season with salt and pepper
5. Add the potatoes to a baking tray (lining with parchment is a good idea for this one, but it’s not necessary)
6. Roast the potatoes for 30-40 minutes (check after 20minutes) until crispy and golden
7. To the roasted potatoes, add 1tsp cumin seed, 1tsp of brown mustard seed, ½ tsp of chilli flakes (or more if you like) and a handful of curry leaves. Mix into the potatoes and roast for 3 minutes in the oven.
8. Meanwhile, slice the tomatoes. They can be deseeded- use the seeds for dressings or gazpacho. Or leave the seeds in. Add a little salt and pepper to the tomatoes.
9. After the 3 minutes, add the tomatoes to the potatoes, mix and roast for a further 3-5 minutes until the tomatoes warm and soft. Then serve!