A simple recipe that can be served as a side dish or eaten as a warm salad for lunch. The cabbage and onions crisp up and caramelise slightly for a sweet, savoury flavour. Try mixing with cooked quinoa, white beans (added about halfway through) or brown rice for a heartier meal.
· ¼ large red cabbage
· 2 medium carrots
· 2 medium parsnips (or more carrots)
· 2 medium onions
· ½ lemon (or balsamic vinegar)
· Oil (vegetable oil or olive oil that’s ok for cooking)
· Hazelnuts or other nuts/seeds (optional). Chopped roughly with a knife or in a food processor.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200°C
2. Remove the core of the cabbage and roughly slice. The ribbons of cabbage should be about 1-1.5cm (so not too thin). Wash the cabbage.
3. Peel and slice the onion, again, not too thin.
4. In a large roasting dish, mix the shredded cabbage and sliced onion. Sprinkle with 1tsp of salt and 2 tbsp oil (just enough to coat the vegetables) and mix in.
5. Roast in the oven for 20minutes.
6. Meanwhile, peel the carrots and parsnips. Cut in half lengthways and then into quarters.
7. Remove the cabbage & onion mix from the oven and stir. The cabbage should soft and have released a lot of moisture.
8. Add the carrots and parsnips to the top of the cabbage (don’t mix in).
9. Return to the oven and roast for another 20-30 minutes.
10. The carrots & parsnips will soften and brown. The cabbage will crisp up and brown at the edges- a mix of soft and crisp, caramelised cabbage is what makes the dish tasty.
11. When the vegetables have cooked, add the juice of ½ lemon and top with chopped hazelnuts. Roast in the oven for 5 more minutes before serving.