Roasted Cauliflower with Tomato & Tamarind Sauce
· 1 small cauliflower and leaves
· 1 tin tomatoes
· Tomato puree
· Tamarind paste
· ½ tsp Chilli powder or flakes
· 1tsp cumin seed
· 1tsp fenugreek seeds
· 1tsp brown mustard seeds
· ½ tsp turmeric
· 1 handful of curry leaves (around 20)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200°C
2. For the cauliflower, removed the leaves and wash. Break the cauliflower into florets and cut in half to create a flat surface.
3. Coat the florets and leaves in a little oil (no salt) and roast in the oven for around 20 minutes until brown and soft. Remove the leaves earlier if they get too crispy. Sprinkle with salt and pepper after roasting.
For a more even roast, fry the cauliflower cut side down in a frying pan before finishing in the oven.
4. For the sauce: roughly chop 3 cloves of garlic and a 1-inch piece of ginger. Add to cold oil and heat through. Keep cooking the ginger and garlic for a few minutes until the garlic starts to brown.
5. Add the spices and cook in the oil for 30 seconds.
6. Add 1 tbsp of tomato puree and cook through for 1-2 minutes.
7. Add 1 tin of chopped or plum tomatoes. Add 1tsp salt, 1tsp of sugar and plenty of black pepper.
8. Simmer the tomatoes for 10-15 minutes.
9. Blend the tomatoes and pass through a sieve to make a smooth sauce
10. Add ½ tsp of tamarind paste and taste, adding another ½ tsp to make it more tangy and sour tasting.
11. Add more salt to taste if necessary.