Purple Sprouting Broccoli with Pizza Crumbs
SERVES 2. VEGAN.
· About 180-200g of Purple Sprouting Broccoli (enough for 2)
· 20g Olive oil
· ½ tbsp Garlic, minced or pureed
· 45g Tomato concentrate
· 1tbs Capers, chopped
· 1tsp Dried herbs (e.g. basil, oregano or rosemary. Or a mix)
· 1 thick slice of sourdough bread
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
2. When the oven is hot, lightly toast the bread- just to dry it out but not brown it.
3. In a bowl mix the tomato concentrate, olive oil, the minced garlic and the dried herbs and season with salt (to taste).
4. By hand, or in a food processor break the bread into uneven size crumbs. Rip or blend it so it is broken down but not into fine breadcrumbs.
5. Using your hands, massage the tomato mix into the breadcrumbs.
6. Spread out onto a baking sheet and add the capers. Bake for around 10-20 minutes (check regularly as the tomato can cause the bread to burn).
7. Prepare the broccoli by removing the leaves from the stem and cutting the stem (with the florets) into halves or quarters. Make sure the leaves and stems are all similar sizes so they cook evenly.
8. To steam the broccoli, use a steamer. Or use a large pan with a tight fitting lid and a few splashes of hot water. The broccoli only takes 2-3 minutes to steam in hot vapour- just enough so it becomes bright green. Be careful not to overcook it.
9. The steamed broccoli can be drained and mixed with the pizza crumbs ready to serve.
10. Alternatively, spread the broccoli onto a baking tray and drizzle with a little extra olive oil. Bake for 3-5 minutes to remove excess water and roast slightly before mixing in the breadcrumbs.
11. Regular broccoli can be used for this recipe instead, simple steam the florets or roast them while the breadcrumbs cook.