Mexican Red Cabbage
Red cabbage is spiced and roasted to make a filling for tacos, burritos or as side for other Mexican style dishes.
· 260g red cabbage
· 1tsp ground cumin (or, ideally, freshly grounded from seed)
· 1tsp of ground coriander (or, ideally, freshly grounded from seed)
· 1tsp of garlic powder
· ½ tsp of salt
· ½ tsp of chilli flakes
· Freshly ground black pepper
· 1tbsp of tomato puree
· 1tbsp vegetable or rapeseed oil
· ¼ lime
· Fresh coriander (optional)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200°C.
2. Cut the cabbage in half and cut out the white core. Shred the rest of the cabbage roughly into 1cm strips, using a knife. Wash the cabbage.
3. In a bowl, mix the spices (chilli flakes, garlic, cumin and coriander) the oil, tomato puree and salt & pepper into the cabbage. Hands are best for this to make sure everything is properly coated.
4. Spread the cabbage out onto a baking tray in a single layer.
5. Roast for 15minutes then stir the cabbage. Roast for another 10-15 minutes (stirring and checking every 5 minutes) until the cabbage is soft. Some of the cabbage will become crispy and chewy. Aim for a mix between crispy and soft cabbage.
6. Squeeze over the juice ¼ of a lime and a handful of chopped coriander (if using). Use as a filling for tacos, burritos etc.