Courgette Salad with fennel & mint
A super simple and summery courgette salad that’s ready in 5 minutes! Use as part of a salad plate, a toast topper or sandwich filler (great with hummus). Or mix with white beans or pasta for a heartier salad (great for picnics).
Courgette salad on toast, with tahini & jalapeno cream
· 1 courgette
· 1 lemon, juiced
· Fennel seeds
· Black pepper
· Dried or fresh mint
· Chilli flakes or fresh mild green chilli (optional)
1. Wash the courgette. Remove the very ends. Using a knife, a peeler or a spiraliser/mandolin, shred the courgette into ribbons. Slice lengthways into strips then again into smaller ribbons. Aim for about 3-5mm thick, it will soften with the lemon and salt. Too thin and it will become sloppy!
2. Add: the juice of one lemon (and the zest if it’s an unwaxed lemon)
½ tsp salt plenty of black pepper ¼ tsp chilli (or more…but optional) 1 tsp fennel seeds 1 tsp of dried mint, or a handful or chopped fresh mint. If using dried mint, brands that are sold in international shops tend to be much higher quality than a supermarket brand, you’ll notice the difference in aroma!
3. Mix, taste for salt and pepper and add more if needed. And that’s it, ready!
4. A little good Olive Oil can be added at the end, but it's not necessary.