Carrot Cake Salad
Carrots, apples, sweet sultanas and a savoury and creamy dressing made with mixed, toasted, nuts all perfect with Platt Fields Market Garden Salad Leaves.
· 1 large carrot
· 1 medium apple
· A handful of sultanas or raisins
· Apple juice (optional)
· Mixed nuts/seeds (e.g. cashews, walnuts, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds etc.)
· Salad leaves (from Platt Fields Market Garden)
· Black Pepper
1. Roughly tear up the salad leaves and wash, leave to dry.
2. If using, put the sultanas/raisins in a bowl and cover with apple juice to plump them up.
3. For the dressing, take 50g of mixed nuts and toast for 30 seconds to a minute in a dry pan Any nuts can be used, walnuts are great for flavour, but cashews add creaminess. A bag of ‘mixed nuts’ from the supermarket is ideal (not salted or roasted) or make your own mix.
4. Add the toasted nuts to a blender and had ½ tbsp of tahini and the juice of half a lemon. Add cold water until everything is covered and blend into dressing. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add more lemon or tahini for more acidity or creaminess. If you have a good blender (unlike me!) that makes a smooth sauce, crush or roughly chop some nuts to add to the salad for texture.
5. For the salad, grate or finely julienne the carrot and apple (peel the carrot if the skin looks very rough).
6. Mix the salad leaves, carrot, apple, sultanas, crushed nuts (if using) and the toasted nut dressing together. Taste for salt and pepper and add more if needed. Alternative, make the salad in layers using the vegetables and dressing.