Brussels Sprout & Leeks
Brussels Sprout with sweet leeks and a crunchy zesty crumb.
Serves 2 (as a side dish)
· 2 portions of Brussel sprouts (about 180g)
· ½ leek
· Bread (any type)
· Zest of 1 lemon
· Olive oil
· Herbs, such as thyme, rosemary or sage leaves, finely chopped
· Garlic powder
1. For the crumb, toast around 60g of bread until dry and crisp. This is best done in the oven but a toaster is fine too.
2. Blend the bread in a food processor or crumble by hand into breadcrumbs.
3. Add the zest of 1 lemon, 1-2 tsp of chopped herbs, ½ tsp of garlic powder. Mix with enough olive oil so the breadcrumbs are coated but there is no excess oil.
4. Put on a baking tray and bake in the oven (around 180°C) for 6-8minutes or until browned. This step can also be done in a frying pan.
5. For the sprouts, removed a small portion of the base (the woody part) and remove any leaves that are brown or discoloured. Any leaves that are looser, remove and keep to one side.
6. Cut large sprouts in half and keep smaller ones whole.
7. Add the sprouts to boiling, salted water for 1min to 1:30min to blanche them. Remove and place in ice-water or run under a cold tap until cool. Leave on a paper towel to dry out.
8. Meanwhile, slice the leek in half lengthways and then into slices. Wash well.
9. Shred the outer leaves of the sprouts from step 5. Wash well.
10. In a small saucepan with a little oil and salt, sweat the leeks and shredded sprout leaves. Sweat for about 5 minutes.
11. Meanwhile, heat a large frying pan. Add the sprouts and cook, without oil to dry them out. Cook for 5 minutes, turning half way. The sprouts will brown but a little oil can be added towards the end of cooking for more colour and flavour.
12. Add the sprouts to the leeks and stir through. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
13. Serve on a dish topped with the lemon & herb crumb.