Baby Golden Beetroot with Apple & Mustard Glaze
8-12 baby golden beetroot
· 100ml Apple juice (Oakwood farm brand from PFMG is great)
· 1 heaped tsp of wholegrain mustard
· 1tbsp cold Butter or vegan butter (vegan block or Flora plant butter are good options) (optional)
· Black pepper
1. Wash the baby beetroot as well as possible.
2. Place in a saucepan and cover with cold water and season with 1 tsp of salt.
3. Bring to the boil and simmer on a medium heat for 10-15minutes or until all the beetroot are soft (use a small knife or skewer to test they are cooked all the way through).
4. Some smaller beetroot will cook quicker, just remove them earlier.
5. Once soft, drain and rinse under cold water.
6. Top and tail the beetroot and peel of the skin (a peeler will work fine).
7. Rinse them again to make sure there is no excess dirt on the beetroot.
8. Cut the beetroot into halves or quarters, so they fit on a small spoon.
9. Add the apple juice and mustard to a small frying pan (or small saucepan). Bring to the boil and bubble until the liquid is reduced by half. Then add the beetroot.
10. While still bubbling, tip the pan and use a spoon to baste the liquid over the beetroot.
11. Repeat until the liquid has reduced to a thin syrup and the beetroots are warm.
12. If using, add ½ tsp of butter at a time and mix into the apple syrup with a spoon or by swirling the pan- the aim is to emulsify the butter and syrup. Repeat until all the butter is used. The butter will add a shine and richness to the beetroot but they taste just as nice without it.
13. Season with salt and pepper (to taste) and serve.
This technique can be used on red beetroots or carrots too.